Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Idea Generation

1. The biggest problem facing this country is the fight we are currently having against authority and police officers.  Within my local community, the biggest problem is homelessness.  People in my generation have a large problem with their inability to communicate and socialize without technology.  The next generation has a problem with being too reliant on technology and phones.  On a daily basis, I have a problem with terrible traffic on my commute to and from school.  The biggest problem facing my grandparents is their inability to hear.

2. Something I am generally curious about is kids' view on the world.  I think it would be so cool to talk with little kids of ages from about three to six and ask them open-ended questions, like commercials do.  I think that not only would it be entertaining and funny to hear what they have to say, but I also think it would be a learning experience for me.  Kids are so care-free and happy; thinking like them sometimes would be enjoyable and refreshing.

3. If I could only have two TV channels, they would be ABC family, because I watch The Fosters, and channel seven, because I watch Grey's Anatomy and need to watch the news somehow.  The smartest show on television is Are You Smarter Than A Fifth Grader.  This show asks fifth graders and adults questions that most educated people should know, such as the average height of males in the United States and what year the US declared its independence from Great Britain.  This show is teaching its audience trivia and facts that every US citizen should know and helping adults realize that maybe they should spend more time challenging and maintaining their brain so they can actually be smarter than a fifth grader.

4. When I watch the news, lately, the stories that have been drawing me in are the stories about police officers, both for and against.  My dad is a police officer so the stories that are told effect my father as well, its like hearing gossip from his work place.  I stop and turn up the radio when there is a really good song on and when they are discussing funny stories, like random stories about when people stole things as children or "secrets" of the world (handshakes to get free meals).

5.  If I got to pick a topic to bring into the national conversation, I would maybe bring up an environmental problem in the world today?  I am in an Environmental Science class this semester and although it can be excruciatingly boring, the issues that our professor brings up about how humans are diminishing our environment and the atmosphere, while they may be depressing, they are real.  They are issues that our generation is going to have to deal with and find a way to solve.

6.  One law I would write is no homework for students.  Homework can be helpful in solidifying what is being talked about in class, however, when teachers start assigning busy work, it just is no longer fair.  Students are already in school for about eight hours, they do not need four more hours of school once they go home.  One existing law I would change is regarding gay marriage.  All people, no matter their preference, should have the right to get married in all states.

7.  Over the years, leggings have become increasing trendy and popular.  My friends all think that leggings are great, as do others.  But I'm not sure that they really are a good thing because a lot of them are a bit see-through.  Although they are extremely comfortable, you need to be sure they are not sheer.  No one wants to see that.
When I was young, I really wanted to be a teacher when I grew up.  Although I have changed from an elementary to a high school teacher, I'm still interested in the education profession.  What drew me away from little kids is realizing that its at the high school age where students make life altering decisions, which makes me ask: how can the education program set students up for a better life of success?

No comments:

Post a Comment