Monday, March 16, 2015

Celibacy Cons

On the Library of Congress research database, I searched using the words "marriage"and "celibacy."  I had a hard time using this website because it tended to give me a lot of books that were way too long and mostly unavailable and posters that you were unable to zoom in enough on.  When I finally found an article that was shorter than a couple hundred page book and related to love, I found that it gives a widely different viewpoint on remaining abstinent and celibate taken from the 1920's.

In this article, "Is Race Suicide Possible?," Alexander Graham Bell gives a very convincing argument why people, especially those who are smart and of high class, should not lead a life of celibacy.  Not only does each race in general need to maintain high numbers in order to not commit "race suicide," but the people who are ensuring these numbers are kept high need to be good people because, if good people have babies, the offspring, too, will be good.

This is an entirely different perspective than what I have always thought that I have known about leading a celibate lifestyle.  I always thought that celibacy, although probably lonely, is something that takes a lot of courage, determination, and commitment.  This article, on the other hand, almost seems to make people who do remain celibate out to be selfish people who do not care about the well-being of their race beyond their life time.  In the 1920's in Europe, it makes sense why these ideals of remaining unmarried and not having any sexual interactions with a partner would be strongly believed and carried out by many people.  During this time, monasteries and nunneries were entering Europe in full swing and force.  However, I wonder if celibacy is often, or even at all, practiced here in the United States.  And if it is, what makes a person decide to vow themselves to a life of celibacy?  Also, is there generally a religious tie/ reason for people who do decide to remain celibate?  Finally, is the only reason a couple should have sex because of a desire to reproduce and maintain a healthy population?  Why did Bell not include love in his argument at all?

Bell, Alexander Graham. "Is Race Suicide Possible?" 1926. MS. Lib. of Cong., Washington, D.C. Lib of Cong. Web. 17 Mar. 2015. <http://www.loc.gov/resource/magbell.37600201/?sp=1>

No comments:

Post a Comment