The Brief Report, "How Adolescent Personality Moderates the Effect of Love History on the Young Adulthood Romantic Relationship Quality," seeks to prove/ disprove the correlation between the amount of relationships you are in as a teenager and the quality of relationships you are in as a young adult. This article proved that there really is no correlation between love history and current quality of love. I found this to be extremely interesting. If I were to guess, I would have thought that there was a correlation between the two. The more you have been heartbroken, the less willing you are to trust yourself with another person. The author did, however, explain that there was a correlation for "under-controllers." "Under-controllers" who were in many relationships as a teenager tended to have poor commitment and exploration within their relationships as a young adult.
I found this article extremely helpful because one of the ideas I was supporting this research project on was the idea that with experience, a person's definition of love changes. If this is true, a love history has no affect on current love quality, this idea is rather false. Although your idea of love may change momentarily, love conquers all and will eventually break down the barriers you tried to set up to protect yourself. Love will find you, kind of creepy really.
Yu, Ronggin, et al. "Brief Report: How Adolescent Personality Moderates The Effect of Love History on the Young Adulthood Romantic Relationship Quality?." Journal of Adolescence 37.5 (2014): 749-752. Academic Search Premier. Web. 23 Mar. 2015.
Hannah,
ReplyDeleteNot sure if you have heard of this guy or not, but he has some astonishing results and may be relevant to some of your research. I like to see how you're slowly focusing your research...be sure to let me know if you have any questions.
http://www.gottman.com/research/research-faqs/