Today I went to Traylor Academy and talked with 12 four year olds about love. Their answers to my questions were so sweet, made me giggle, and perhaps some of the most straight forward answers I have received throughout this entire process.
What does love mean to you?
"love your kids"
"a boy gives flowers, ring, and necklace to a girl and then she will say "Oh that's lovely," that's love"
"when you give something for Valentine's Day"
"when your mom says, "I love you kid, you're the best!""
"hug someone when they're sad"
"kiss someone on their cheek"
"when they buy you a pretty thing"
"you give love to other people"
What do you love?
"mom and dad"
"sister and brother"
"unicorns"
"cat"
"flowers
"grandma"
"chocolate sweets"
"dog"
"all of my toys"
"watching cartoons"
How do you show the above things that you love them/ it?
"give them hugs"
"give them kisses"
"give them a tissue"
"pet and feed your cow"
"you give a heart print"
"give them flowers"
"give someone a wing"
"buying them jewelry"
"telling them you love them with all of your heart"
Many of the above quotes were said by multiple students. For example, loving their moms and dads was said in each of the four groups that I talked with, however, I just wrote it down once to save space and show the variety of answers I got from the kids. After interviewing the students, one of the main things I noticed was how they attached showing the people and things they love to giving them something, usually something material. In each of the four groups, the main discussion on how to show their love revolved around giving hugs and kisses or giving something material. This is one of the main differences between young kids' definition of love and a person's definition of love when you get older. With age, material objects tend to become less meaningful and it is the actions and words that are the true indications to someone that you love them. I really enjoying talking with all of these students. As I was there, I got to thinking about the final presentation I will be making and I got to thinking, a video with some of these students, and older candidates as well, would really help people visualize what love is.
No comments:
Post a Comment